Our main focus is on the under privileged part of society where we try to give support in promoting education and providing them training them for employment-enhancing vocational skills so that they can lead a sustainable livelihood and make a difference in the society.
ORGANIZATIONS WE SUPPORT
• Reading Classes for standard 1st to 4th – Here each class gets one session of 90 minute every week. Two book fairies conduct the class. They distribute books to the children as per their reading ability. The read aloud activity ensures that the given book is as per the child’s ability. The session also includes songs, stories and word games for enhancement of language skills.
• Home lending library for standard 2nd to 4th – Here the children are given books of their choice to be taken home, just as in any other library.
We also conduct other Activities under Reading Class Program. The following activities are conducted:
• Coloring activity – The children from standard 2nd to 4th are given pictures to color. The 1st standard children are given a coloring book.
• Story telling competition – The children are asked to come up and tell any story that they have read from a book given during reading class session. 3 best story tellers from each class are awarded.
• Reading competition – The children are asked to read a standard appropriate paragraph with proper punctuations, pronunciations and with a loud and clear voice. 3 best readers from each class are awarded.
The idea behind this project is to make a difference in the lives of differently abled youngsters and to give them a sustainable livelihood. Currently we are engaged with 11 hearing impaired youth around 22 years old who are provided with vocational training on making small household display items – like coasters, trays, pen holders, coffee tables, wall hangings and many more. What is exceptional is that these items are made out of scrap like newspaper, car tyres, plastic water bottles, wood (courtesy Godrej Interio), Using their creativity and newly acquired skills they are able to convert waste into something useful.
Through this project these people have started earning a livelihood and becoming self reliant, which earlier was a distant possibility.
Moving forward, this batch will get extensively trained and will branch out as trainers and will train other new comers to this program. We hope that this small initiative becomes a movement.
PREVIOUSLY SUPPORTED ORGANIZATIONS
We recently printed over 500 plus books of Braille. The team at Jagriti informed us that helping the visually challenged students with digests of all the subjects would be of great help, which led to Harbinger printing digests for all subjects for all subjects of classes 9th and 10th. We distributed the books to 4 other blind schools in Pune. Our plan this year is to print digests for 8th class.